Saturday, November 24, 2012

Book Review - The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg


 After Dad died, I filled my reading need with trashy housewife novels.  I couldn't turn my brain off at night without reading.  The books filled my need.  I can't count the number of times I fell asleep, clutching a book in my hands, escaping from grief-filled emotions.   
 
  Last weekend, I was laying on my couch and realized I was ready for a good book.  A GOOD book.  One that would stimulate my brain.  
 
Ice Princess was suggested by my cousin Per, a Swede who lives in Alaska.  He knows I am an avid book lover and how I enjoy mystery/thrillers.  I admit I was hesitant because the last book I read by a Swedish author was "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" series and frankly, I wasn't ready for something so heavy.  Those books took quite a bit of time to get through and since I fall asleep after 4 or 5 pages, I feared I would still be reading it into the new year.
 
I just wanted a mystery that was a good read and right to the point.
 
The Ice Princess is that book.  Now, I'm a person who continuously turns to the back of the book to find out what is going to happen.  If I wasn't this person, I believe the book would have surprised me with the twists and turns.  Duh.  Despite this irritating habit of mine, I was entertained and quickly raced through this book.
 
Is it a higher level thinking book?  I'd say middle of the road. 
However, it was well written and entertained me.
 
And that's all I was looking for.

1 comment:

  1. If you like mysteries, you've got to read Tana French. I never like mysteries and I LOVE her writing. In the Woods, The Likeness, Faithful Place, and Broken Harbor are her 4 books. Start with the first even though they aren't really a series. Different books are about different characters. SO good.

    ReplyDelete

What say ye?