Saturday, April 9, 2011

Insomnia

difficulty in sleeping: inability to fall asleep or to remain asleep long enough to feel rested, especially when this is a problem that continues over time        
 
I can't say that I've ever truly suffered insomnia. 
 
When I have a big ASB event scheduled, I have restless nights.  The kids laugh when these nights occur because they know, while waiting for sleep to arrive, I have worked out every scenario so the event will be flawless, once we begin.  In their eyes, it usually is flawless.  In my eyes, I know the next time we put it on, there will be more restless nights.  Such is the life of a perfectionist.
 
When my thyroid isn't working properly, I have restless nights.  I toss and turn.  I'm in and out of bed.  And I'm a furnace.  Poor Eric doesn't stand a chance of finding sleep himself.  So, it is usually my sweet hubby who points out that I should have my blood drawn and the thyroid checked.  He's never been wrong.
 
So, last night.  I'm in bed at 9:30PM.  I work a bit on the computer til 11PM.  I figure 8 hours of sleep before Zumba and if I'm tired, the work out will wake me up.
 
Boy, was I wrong.  At 12:15AM, I text my mother-in-law to tell her "no zumba me" and reschedule for Sunday afternoon.  I lay in bed and watch the minutes tick by.  Eric comes to bed at 1AM and naturally, I turn on the light and start reading.  And reading.  And reading.  I'm no closer to sleep at 2:15AM than I was at 11PM but, Eric deserves some sleep in the dark.  BTW, I've also informed my lovely husband by this point, that there is NO WAY I'm getting up with Alexander at 7AM so he best be prepared.
 
I think I drifted off about 3ish.  And woke up at 7AM.  With a terrible headache.  Eric gets up with Alexander and I roll back over to try to sleep.
 
And no, I didn't drink any alcohol last night.
 
Here it is, 10AM and I'm still in bed.  Popped a couple of Tylenol.  I'm drinking coffee and writing a post.  With a headache.  Alexander is at a sleepover and we don't have anything planned for a lazy weekend.  Except for heading out with these folks tonight.  The crazy crew from high school days.
 
 
I think I just had a bad night's sleep.  However, if it continues, I'm gonna be pissed.  All my hard work to intentionally rest over spring break will have been for naught.  I better take a nap today, just to be safe.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say ye?