Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Book Review - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

I often forget how long it takes me to read a book during the school year.  Mostly because I fall asleep after reading three pages.  However, I ALWAYS trudge through a book to the end.  I can't leave things undone.

In August, a co-worker suggested I read this book.  She's an english teacher, uber-smart, and always spot on with her recommendations.

She didn't let me down.
Meet Oskar Schell. He is nine years old, living in New York in the aftermath of losing his father on September 11th. 

Oy.

As you can imagine, the book tugges at my heartstrings as this orphaned boy searches for meaning of his life, without his dad.  What makes this book outstanding is the author's writing.  It is all about the voices of the characters.  It is powerful.  It is moving.  It is GOOD.

Admittedly, you have to follow the book closely because it does bounce around.  I can see where some might not enjoy this book, due to how strange and wild the ride can be with Oskar.  Not everyone in my booclub will like this but secretly, that is why I suggested it!  I liked it and the ending was so sweet that everyone should stick it out to the very last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say ye?