Sunday, November 6, 2011

Book Review - State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett


I have to admit, I was not very excited to read this book.  Since I hadn't enjoyed the first book by Ann Patchett (Bel Canto), I couldn't imagine how I would be able to like a second book by her.  However, I kept my opinion to myself and went along with the book club decision to read this one.

I had a hard time convincing myself to open the book.  If I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it, why bother reading it?  I would read a few pages, fall asleep, put it down for a few days, pick it back up again and repeat the pattern.  It is only because I didn't want to let my book club crew down that I kept going (even though only a few of us ended up reading it!)

But then came the day when I could read more than a few pages at a time and I fell in love with the story.  So, if you find yourself wanting to put it down, kept at it.  It's worth it. 

A young woman experiences the adventure of a lifetime in the Amazon jungle, searching for the answers to the death of her co-worker and scientific research for the pharmacutical company she works for.  This is a captivating book that meshes personal with professional responsibilities. I really enjoyed how the author placed the main character into situations simply to see what she is made of.   I believe in pushing people so they learn resilience and grit so finding that theme interwoven into a book was fantastic. 

It's a good book that is worth reading.  Not a summer vacation book but more of a long weekend type of book.  If you have the chance, pick it up. 

P.S.  Mari, from now on, I'll post my reviews before book club just for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say ye?