2009 rewind here
2010 rewind here
2011 - here we go!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Disciplined students. Anything from emergency expulsions to lunchtime detentions. When I taught PE, I rarely had to discipline kids. They just knew better.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
When the school year started in August, I decided I wasn't going to spend my time at home on my work email or working on projects. I would say, for the most part, I have kept that resolution.
As for this year's resolution, read here what I plan to do in 2012.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
At 40, Eric and I are kinda moving out of the baby phase in life. However, a camp family addition was born in August to Patrick and Andrea. And I'm REALLY looking forward to meeting Baby Braillard, Baby Rankin, and Baby S in 2012!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
More confidence in myself at my job. It's year two in the position and I'd love to be at a point where I stop questioning my abilities and skills.
6. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
When we were in Disneyland, I was in line for the monorail to enter Disneyland with Alexander and my in-laws. My phone rang and my mom told me that she was on the way to the hospital with my dad, who had had a heart attack. Eric was mid-flight, my son was bouncing up and down to get into Disneyland, and I was crying. I was torn between my role as a daughter, my role as a wife, and my role as a mother. I felt helpless.
Celebrating my 40th birthday in Vegas with all my loved ones. Laying in the sun. Jello shots and drinks for days. Gambling with Eric and Jen until 5am. Floating the lazy river while Jodie told me she was getting married. I felt joy.
Two memories on two ends of the emotional spectrum.
7. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing year one of a job that challenged and pushed me
8. What was your biggest failure?
Many times, I put work before my family. I don't think that has happened as much since August but I know I was very guilty of it all last school year.
9. What was the best thing you bought?
My 40th birthday trip to Vegas
10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Eric. He encouraged me to take a new job and supported me as I bounced all over the place with the experience. He was my partner as we worked on our marriage this past summer. He worked the 17 day diet with me so we could be healthy parents. Every single day, he puts himself aside and takes care of our son.
11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A co-worker who's energy will not taint me in 2012. I will not allow it.
12. Where did most of your money go?
My personal allowance to feed my shopping habit! A girl has to look good at work, right?
13. What did you get really excited about?
When my brother said, "I'm going to have a son." I cried. I cheered. And then I cried again.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Family Dance Party - "Dynamite"
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? Thinner.
– richer or poorer? Financially poorer but infinitely richer for all I have around me (same answer as 2009!)
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Running and working out
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. What was your favorite TV program?
19. What was the best book you read?
Oh, that's tough! The Kitchen House. Cutting for Stone. And the fourth book of the Eragon series. SO GOOD.
20. What did you want and get?
Personal validation that I am good at my job and having nothing to prove to anyone.
21. What did you want and not get?
The fire marshal signing off on our house so we could move forward with the remodel.
22. What was your favorite film of this year?
We don't see many movies in the theater but the one that we did see and I loved was Fast Five. OMG.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
We went to Vegas for my 40th birthday and were joined by 20 wonderful people! Memories to last a lifetime!
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Setting a goal to exercise (i.e. a half marathon) that would have kept me focused during the school year.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Long cardigans. Boots. Skinny jeans. Sweater/tunic dresses or skirtts with leggings.
26. What kept you sane?
My husband. And the captain.
this answer will never change.
27. Who did you miss?
28. Who was the best new person you met? Zarah. I work with her, she joined us in Vegas and bought Jello shots for the group for breakfast. Anyone who buys me Jello shots for breakfast is going to be the best new person. Duh
29. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Everyone has a love language. When those closest to you know how to read that language, it feeds your soul. And brings pure joy to your life.