Saturday, July 9, 2011

Book Review - Bossypants

Rather than wait until the end of the month, I thought I'd write my review now.  Why? 
I have the time.

Soooo, what did I think of Tina Fey's Bossypants?


I liked it.  I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.  Reading this book made me feel like I was chatting with Ms. Fey, as she describes the chapters of her childhood, career path, and family life.  And it made me want to sit down with her, drink a glass of wine, and laugh.  I'm not a huge fan of biographies.  The middle of these books often drag and I feel like the author is reaching for stories just to fill pages.  I don't recall many times during Bossypants where I sensed she was reaching for stories and several times, I think I snorted in laughter.  In my opinion, Tina Fey is a brilliant screen writer (have you seen Mean Girls?  Enough said) and some of that brilliance was in the book.   But not as much as I would have liked.  I haven't seen 30Rock and I won't be setting up the DVR to start recording the show, simply because I read the book.  However, I did look for old SNL clips of her doing the news and as Sarah Palin (brilliant, I say.  Brilliant).

I connected with her as a working mom and never thought there was someone who put in more hours than I do but this woman does it.  She makes fun of herself and her childhood in the same manner I do.  And she embraces her successes, which is always great to see in another working mom.  I could tell she likes who she is now, but there was a time when she didn't...just like most women I know.

So, should you read it?  Sure.  A nice easy summer read.  I loaned the book to my sister and she's eating it up.  I wouldn't buy it but see if the local library has a copy for you to borrow.  And then let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say ye?