1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I used my voice at work to defend myself and tell my boss that I deserved a job that he later gave to someone else. I normally don't run the risk of going for something that I don't think I get so I was truly hurt when I didn't get the job offer. Plus, defending myself is very out of character because I think action should speak louder than words. To this day, I still believe I deserved that job and believe I did the right and everything I could by using my voice.
Oh, I also completed two half-marathons. One in March and the second in November. I found that I enjoyed these activities and plan to challenge myself with further fitness challenges (triathalon, anyone?). I suppose you could say I also started a blog for myself. And I joined Facebook. With Fort Knox security.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I'm pretty sure I broke as many as I kept. Never have understood the purpose of the activity but I make the resolutions every year, without fail.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Babies are always being born around us! But I'm REALLY looking forward to meeting Baby Rose and Baby Schoolcraft in 2010!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Baby H (not our baby, for those wondering). Worst day ever. Ever.
5. What countries did you visit?
With a toddler in our home, we were lucky to get out of our city this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Travel. More date nights with hubby. Finding trust to have a babysitter come into our home.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March - going away for a weekend with Eric to celebrate our 12 year anniversary. I love him.
May/June- being glad a terrible school year was ending. Enough said about that.
June - going my best friends ultrasound to find out the gender of the baby. But instead of shopping for baby clothes, I spent the afternoon consoling her and telling family and friends that she was going to lose the baby. That day absolutely broke my heart. Still does.
August - my 20th high school reunion. I am confident, secure, and totally happy with where I
am in life and it showed. It was never awkward or uncomfortable to see classmates and I would do that weekend again, in a heartbeat.
September - finding out Dad was going on kidney dialysis. Enough said.
October - finding out Fidelia and Casey were expecting a baby
December - Christmas through a child's eyes is incredible.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Choosing to leave a job that fulfilled my soul but I couldn't continue because dealing with my evil, manipulative, passive aggressive co-worker was destroying me.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I wish I could say I haven't failed at anything but that wouldn't be real, would it? I should have been a better wife and mom. Next year, I need to do my best so I can't say I failed. If I do my best, I won't fail.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The super cute dress I wore to my 20th high school reunion. We're on a tight budget, people!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone I choose to put in my life merits celebration, in one way or another. Otherwise, I don't suppose I would choose them.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My evil co-worker (see #8) .
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, bills, and more bills. Next year, it will all go to a house remodel.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Being home all summer with my boys. We may not have gone anywhere or done anything spectacular but we spent every day together as a family. And in 2 years or 20 years, those memories will be priceless to me.
And we remodeled my parents kitchen.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Reel Big Fish - "Your Guts (I Hate 'Em) - After every battle with my evil co-worker, I would go in my office, play this song REALLY loud, and just feel better. Totally not appropriate but SO worth it. And better to listen to this song than take it out on the kids.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? 19 inches thinner but frustrated that it is not reflected by the number on the scale!
– richer or poorer? Financially poorer but infinitely richer for all I have around me
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Date nights with my husband. Put down the dishes or the laundry and played on the floor with my son
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Been unhappy at work
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve at my Grandma's, Christmas morning with my boys, Christmas Day with my family
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I honestly think I fell more in love with my boys, than anything else.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Since we only watch cartoons, I can't say I have a favorite (does Mickey Mouse Clubhouse count?). But we did renew Netflix so I can watch more of what I have missed (The Closer, Dexter, 24, etc) in the past 3 years!
24. What was the best book you read?
Oh, man. Just ONE?! I loved the Outlander series. And right now, I'm totally enthralled with the Wheel of Time series. Three Cups of Tea and The Book Thief mesmerized me. Bill O'Reilly and Craig Ferguson entertained me. I read the Twilight series this summer and was humored. And the Parenting Magazine saved me.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I discovered that I will never lose my love of long haired rock bands. Or going to concerts with Kelli
26. What did you want and get?
Even though I didn't know that this was what I wanted until just recently, I realize that more time at home with my boys was the best gift of 2009
27. What did you want and not get?
The ASB job at work.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
We only saw one movie in the theater this year - Star Trek. And it wasn't my favorite. At all
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 38 this year. My dear friend Jen drove up and spent the day with us. It was awesome to reconnect with her. Then she joined Jodie and Zak, Fidelia and Casey, Gypsy and Jeff and Eric and I for appetizers and wine at a local joint. I don't plan to do anything big for my birthday until the 4-0. When that day comes, WATCH OUT! Think Vegas, Baby!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I used to think it was the ASB job at work. I used to think it was more money. Now, I think it would be starting the house remodel so Eric would have projects again and I'd finally have a bedroom with walls.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Interesting question. I'd say I'm coming alive to fashion again. After 9 months of maternity clothes and 3 years of "fat girl" clothing, I'm just now venturing to the mall and finding my fashion concept. I can't say I've totally found it but, with the help of Jodie and Fidelia, it's coming alive! Right now, I love the sweaters. With leggings. And boots.
32. What kept you sane?
My husband. And the captain.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Can't say I fancied anyone.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The presidential election. I was fascinating by my students who were engaged, enthralled and educated by the ENTIRE process. Plus, I had Kemper to keep me entertained with his Democratic rantings.
35. Who did you miss?
I miss having close friends at work. Jen, Andrea, and Kemper.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Me. And I loved reconnecting with high school friends.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
I may never understand God's timing of bringing home His children but I look forward to the day when I am greeted by the babies at the gates. Especially one sweet baby girl who makes my heart ache because she isn't here.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggidity Dog.
Happy New Year!!