Friday, July 2, 2010

My new best friend - Reality TV!

Before Alexander, I watched A LOT of TV.  I would tape hours worth of shows during the week.  Yes, I said tape.  As in VCR.  We didn't and still don't own a DVR.  I know, I know.  Try not to be surprised.  But our main TV is hooked up to a computer (picture the TV as a monitor) and a DVR won't work with the configuration. And we have dish network and well, I'm sure there are a couple of other reasons that I don't remember.

Ok, let's bring it back...

On Saturdays, I'd curl up in bed and watch them all.  I'd pause and fast forward when necessary.  I knew exactly what was happening on 24, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, ER, and several other shows that I faithfully watched for years.  I knew exactly what was happening.  Until 2007.

And then Alexander was born. Watching TV became hit or miss.  When he was first born and there was time to watch (newborns aren't exactly busy little people), I'd be too tired to watch anything.  Come to think about it, I could have used a DVR for shows at 2AM feedings.  As he grew older, he was moving and moving and moving and well, who had time to watch when I couldn't focus?  Finally, when we did have time, didn't have to chase a toddler, and weren't too tired, we chose to watch movies from Netflix.  Soon, we moved into TV shows for Alexander, movies for Alexander, or no TV at all. 

In the last few months, I've rediscovered the TV.  I remember why I love to sit in front of it.  I can be entertained and NOT THINK.

And, as it turns out, there is nothing more entertaining  than REALITY TV!

I have no idea when it happened but this reality TV thing?  OMG.  Love it.  I was a fan of Survivor but there weren't many other shows of its type on TV.  But now?

I don't care what city you are in but if you're a Real Housewife, I love you.  I don't care what genre it is, So long as You Think You Can Dance.  I can't stand cooking but if you're Top Chef, welcome to my home.  And you are always welcome in my world as long as we can talk about What Not To Wear.

Yes, reality TV, you are my new best friend.  I haven't a clue what else is happening on TV.  I generally don't have the time to watch a full episode of any show and refuse to turn on the news.  But when I have the free time, you can believe reality TV is the first thing I am looking for to keep me entertained.

I'd love to hear what shows you think I should be watching?

1 comment:

  1. I love reality TV! What not to wear, say yes to the dress, four weddings, cake boss and chopped! Enjoy! ~Christi

    ReplyDelete

What say ye?