Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions

It's that time of year again.  Do I or don't I set New Year's Resolutions?   I wondered if I set any last year.  Turns out I did (not a huge surprise since I love to make a list).  You can read about it here.

I held surprisingly well to this list.  Ok, except the diet and exercise thing.  And Friday night date nights were on Wednesdays.  And I ran the half marathon in June, not November. 
Whatever.  It was a long list.

This year, I decided I'm only making three resolutions.  Jen, at A Daily Dose of Davis, only posted three and I thought it was brilliant of her.  BTW, if you haven't checked her blog out - you should.  Especially on Friday's when she posts about Eco-Friendly green ideas.  Fascinating.

Anyhow, I have been thinking all day what three resolutions I would set for myself.
Since I was shopping and spending obscene amounts of  money today, naturally one of the resolutions is about money.  As a side note, if you have never been to the mall on New Year's Day, I HIGHLY recommend it.  There is NO ONE there and you can spend loads of time browsing through the racks until you find THE ONE or dozen outfit.

Ok, back to resolutions...

Be Financially Responsible  
I am the spender in this family.  I can find any excuse to spend our money.  However, the budget belt needs to be cinched a knot or two.  We live off of a teacher's salary.  We're starting a 1500 square foot remodel and have already spent thousands preparing for it.  We pay for preschool and other misc child-related activities.  Fortunately, we have very little debt and have a healthy savings account.  In all honesty, I absolutely fear living paycheck to paycheck.  I would rather cut back and force myself to budget than live with that fear.
SO, the plan is to maintain our budget with an excel sheet.  Did I mention I am the one who pays our bills?  So I'm the one who keeps the budget. 
And ends up drinking a lot of red wine to ease my misery.

Find an exercise routine that I can consistently maintain for the year
It may seem like a bit of a repeat from last year's resolution.  I am doing Weight Watchers and after three months, the lifestyle has become a habit.  Ok, the holidays might have blown it but it has been easy to jump back on the wagon the past few days.
So, what am I going to do about finding exercise?  I have little time for working out with 10 hour work days.  I. Am. Tired.  And I have very little interest in waking at 5AM to fit in a workout.
HOWEVER, I have to do something.  When I wore sweats, I could put on a few lbs and no one would know but me.  Uh, that doesn't quite work in grown up clothes. 
So, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.  But I'll come up with something.
Probably another half marathon or something ridiculous like that.

Turns out I can't come up with a third resolution, which is fine with me.  These two are going to take enough of my energy 

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What say ye?