Thursday, February 11, 2010

Do-Sa-Do

At leadership camp, the staff brings in a square dance instructor for one evening.  It is amazing to watch these high school kids, who are total strangers to one another, wrap arms around each other, laugh and giggle, as they walk through square dance steps.  The instructor is a wonderful little old man who is sarcastic as all get out and the kids learn to appreciate his humor throughout the event.  One of the best things about leadership camp is pushing kids to step outside their comfort zone and empower them as individuals to lead others.

So, my little brain got to thinking this year and I decided to set up square dance for my PE9 students.  Today, that wonderful little old man is in my gym, walking the kids through the steps.  Lo and behold, they are laughing and giggling and have a great ol' time.  Understandably, freshman aren't as willing to step out of the comfort zone and try new things.  Asking them to step into a square dance zone, hold hands with their classmates and try something new was a stretch for many.  The complaints were loud and strong but within 10 minutes, they had forgotten I was on the sideline and are in there, having a great time.  It probably helped that the wonderful little old man kicked me out and told them HE was their teacher today.  They loved it.

It makes me think of my own life and the opportunities I have to step outside my comfort zone.  Do opportunities come my way but I pass them up because I don't think I can do it or it is out of my normal routine?  Do I instantly start to complain and worry, rather than think of the good that can come out of the event?  I think these moments are fewer as I grow up.  But this weekend, I'll be faced with one as I take Alexander on his first plane ride.  By myself.  I'm really not worried about traveling with him;  I'm more worried about all the gear.  After a minor freak out last night, however, I've decided to think about it as a great adventure.  We are going to have a wonderful week and for a few hours on Sunday, Alexander and I are going to create our own dance steps as we travel alone in this adventure.

Don't be afraid to do-sa-do every now again and step out of your comfort zone.  Find the positive in a challenge, rather than think of the negative first.  It's good for you!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! One of my favorite bloggers, when presented with the challenge of running a half marathon, immediately said "No." But then, as she put it, she dug through the layers of "No" to find the "Yes!"

    We are so quick to say "No, I can't do that" when in reality, we can! And it's more fun to at least try, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete

What say ye?