Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day

I am blessed to have an amazing father. My mother is pretty darn terrific, too, and has overcome her own battles to raise three kids while Dad worked a lot so I owe a lot to her. But this is about Dad. The man of advice. Strength. Unconditional love. He told me once I would meet my match with a man who had a similar background, level of education, and core values. He was right. He told me once that his being overprotective of me in high school would be something I thanked him for as an adult. He was right. He told me once that I should get an endorsement in business for the day I realized I may not want to teach. Well...two out of three ain't bad, right? During those dark days of infertility, time and time again, he would remind me that I'm strong, resilient, and would survive the darkness. Those moments sustained me through the hell of infertility. He taught me how to greet someone with a firm handshake and a look in the eye. He taught me how to work a crowd and use humor to break an awkward moment. He taught me family comes first. Today is Father's Day. Today we are waiting to find out if Dad will be the recipient of a kidney that became available late last night. This is the third time we have received this call in the past month. I'm not a fan of the process. Hope rises. Reality crashes. And we wait for another day. Right now, they are doing the final cross match because Dad is the primary recipient of this one. Will it be enough? We wait. We hope. And if, at the end of the day, there is no kidney? Well, we'll wait for his turn. He is strong. He is resilient. His turn will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say ye?