Saturday, June 23, 2012

I think I can exhale now

Five days post kidney transplant, this little bundle of joy decided to wake up and start working for my Dad.
Isn't it a beauty!  I told you I'd find a way to get that kidney on the blog.  My apologies if you are bit sqeamish (Ann Broska) but I couldn't help but post it.  I love me this kind of medical shizz. 

Anyhow, Thursday afternoon, Dad peed.  Normally, one reads about pee on a blog when a kid is potty training.  Kinda like this post on Alexander's blog.  Or this one.  But for my old man, there was no better sight than that catheter filling up with pee! 

I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until Mom called with the news.  All at once, I was flooded with emotions.  Elation.  Relief.  Fear.  Then the emotions just stopped.  I texted my closest friends who have been traveling this roller coaster with me.  I FB'd the news.  And I would have twittered, if I was a twitter-er (is that even a word?).

And I exhaled. 

When Dad went into full renal failure in 2009, none of us realized the road our little family would wander.  Years of dialysis.  A heart attack (or two).  My son's only memories are of Ho-Ho Papa needing treatments or tiring quickly after an afternoon of play.  We never knew if Dad would be around for the next family adventure so we found ourselves rallying for every family event.  For me, I have learned to take each day as a blessing and I fully understanding the importance of spending time with my family.  All of us have learned from this journey.  All of us are thankful for the new path we are about to take.
I think we should celebrate with another trip to Disneyworld!!

1 comment:

What say ye?