Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Good Run

I have never felt the "runner high" before.  Today, I did.  It was amazing.  It didn't last long.  But I felt it and finally understand why runners say "you'll crave it".  They are right!  A good run is a great way to start the day.

Today, the herd (we may buy t-shirts for the half marathon) ran four miles.  Kudos to our newest member who hasn't been running and kept up the entire way.  Impressive!  In order for us to run the half marathon we are going to train with interval training (run/walk for certain time).  So for today's activity, we ran 5 minutes and walk 1 1/2 minutes.  One of the herd is the time keeper to keep us honest.  It took us a little under an hour but the pace doesn't matter to us as much as the distance does.

Since I started running a little over a month ago, I've logged almost sixty miles.  I like keeping track of the distance I run each week as it keeps me honest.  And it makes me want to go again to improve the numbers (can you tell I'm a competitive kind of gal?).  I don't know that I will feel the runner high every time. I can only run 2 miles at school before I'm so sick of the track that I talk myself out of continuing alone.  And I refuse to ask anyone to join me at work because well, refer to this post...

So, now I'm going to settle in to watch a movie, eat a little lunch, and look forward to tonight and my glass of wine, which I SO EARNED!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! Enjoy that wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! That's exactly how I started running ...with the interval training....and each week you can increase your run time by 30 or 60 seconds and then slowly decrease your walk intervals and before you know it you won't even need the walk breaks!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

What say ye?